of the 2nd Tripartite Meeting of Ministers of Foreign
Affairs of Ethiopia, Sudan and Yemen
Khartoum, Sudan 10th - 12th January 2003
1) H.E. Ato Seyoum Mesfin, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, H.E. Dr. Abubaker A. Al-Qirbi, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Yemen and H.E. Dr. Mustafa Osman Ismail, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of the Sudan met in Khartoum, Sudan from 10th to 12th, January 2003.
2) The three Ministers held extensive talks on political, security, economic, commercial and cultural issues of trilateral cooperation and exchanged views on regional and international developments of common concern.
3) The Ministers expressed their satisfaction with the progress made so far regarding the implementation of the decisions and guidelines of the Summit of the heads of state and government held in Sanna, Yemen on 14 October 2002, and the 1st Ministerial meeting of the Ministers of Foreign Affairs in Addis Ababa on November 4, 2002.
4) The Ministers thoroughly reviewed and endorsed the reports submitted by the sub-committees. They further agreed to establish a secretariat in each country to serve as a focal point for each sub-committee. In this regard the Ministers decided that the sub-committees shall hold their regular meetings every three or six months as deemed necessary.
5) The Ministers reaffirmed their countries commitment to the promotion of democracy and human rights in their respective countries and in the region at large.
6) The Ministers reaffirmed their commitment towards enhancing peace and stability in the Horn and southern Red Sea region. They further pledged to continue their joint efforts towards the materialization of the objectives of economic development, integration and prosperity of the peoples of the three countries.
7) The Ministers reiterated their full adherence to all international conventions, norms and practices, especially the principles of non-interference in international affairs of other countries, respect to sovereignty and territorial integrity and peaceful settlement of disputes.
8) The Ministers further reiterated their resolve to combat all forms of terrorism and their adherence to the resolutions of the United National in this regard.
9) The Ministers commended the effort of the government of the Sudan to reach a final settlement to the conflict in southern Sudan, and expressed their hope that the upcoming peace talks of Machakos, Kenya will witness a successful , comprehensive and lasting peace agreement.
10) On the Somali question, the Ministers expressed their preoccupation with the situation in Somalia and called upon all the Somali leaders to fully demonstrate their commitment to Eldoret National Reconciliation Conference.
11) The Ministers welcomed the outcome of the recent elections in Djibouti, and congratulated the people and Government of Djibouti for the democratic manner in which the elections were conducted.
12) The Ministers agreed to recommend to the leaders of their countries to hold an annual summit and the Ministerial meeting be held every six months.
13) During their stay, the Ministers of Foreign Affairs of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia and of the Republic of Yemen met with H.E. Omer Hassan Ahmed ElBashir, President of the Republic of the Sudan, H.E. Ali Osman Mohammed Taha, First Vice President of the Republic of the Sudan.
14) H.E. Ato Seyoum Mesfin, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia and H.E. Dr. Abubaker Al-Qirbi, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Yemen expressed their gratitude and appreciation for the warm reception and generous hospitality accorded to them and their respective delegations during their stay in the Sudan.
15) The three Ministers decided to convene their next meeting at Sanaa, Yemen in mid June 2003.
Done at Khartoum, Sudan on this day of 12th January 2003.