1. The Seventh Ethio-Sudanese Joint Ministerial Commission Meeting was held in Addis Ababa on 26 and 27 June 2003. The Ethiopian delegation was led by H.E. Ato Seyoum Mesfin, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia. The Sudanese delegation was led by H.E. Dr. Mustafa Osman ismail, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of the Sudan, accompanied by their Excellencies the Ministers of Interior, Finance, Foreign Trade, Road and Bridges, Transport, Animal Resources and Fisheries and Investment as well as the Governor of the Gadarif State.
2. The meeting was held in a friendly and brotherly atmosphere, which reflected the long standing historical relations and the existing all-rounded co-operation between the two countries.
3. The Joint Ministerial Commission was preceded by the Meeting of the Fourth Ethio-Sudanese Joint Political Committee, which was held from 23-25 June 2003, in Addis Ababa. The Political Committee reviewed the status of implementation of the various agreements signed between the two countries.
4. The Joint Ministerial Commission examined the level of co-operation and the implementation of the various bilateral agreements in the field of political and security, social, economic, trade as well as transport and communications. Following a thorough assessment and evaluation of the status of implementation, the Commission expressed its satisfaction at the achievements scored in various fields.
5. The two sides also exchanged views on regional, sub-regional and international issues of mutual concern and appreciated the on-going consultation and co-ordination of the two countries at various levels. Both sides stressed the importance of strengthening their co-operation and consultation in such fora as the Inter Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD), the African Union (AU) and the United Nations (UN). They further agreed to redouble their efforts to make IGAD an effective and efficient vehicle for sub-regional integration and economic co-operation. They also exchanged views on the peace processes in Somalia and the Sudan, and agreed to maximize their endeavors to achieving a lasting peace and security in the two sisterly countries.
6 . The two sides expressed their satisfaction on the significant progress made in
the implementation of agreements, particularly the completion of the Gonder-
Matema-Galabat-Gedarif road and the micro-wave link project.
7. With a view to further broadening and enhancing the existing co-operation
between the two countries, Protocols on Investment, Health Co-operation,
Memorandum of Understanding on Academic Co-operation, Executive
Programs on Tourism Co-operation, Animal Health and Veterinary Services
8. During its stay in Ethiopia, the Sudanese delegation had audiences with H.E.
Ato Girma Wolde-Giorgis, President of the Federal Democratic Republic of
Ethiopia and H.E. Ato Meles Zenawi, Prime Minister of the Federation Democratic Republic of Ethiopia.
9. The Sudanese delegation expressed its gratitude for the warm welcome and
hospitality accorded to it by the people and Government of the Federation
Democratic Republic of Ethiopia.
10. The commission agreed to convene its eighth meeting in June 2004, in
27 June 2003
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia